For many jobs around here, you have to wait for the cool weather. We had an ice storm last January and final clean up and redesign is starting up again now. We just burned a lot of brush and limbs that have been piled along our drive all year. I have slowly been working on a new garden which had to be created because of the trees we lost during the ice storm. It needed work anyway. And Glenn is all for reducing the amount of grass he has to cut!
The largest Redbud behind the wall, to the left and out of the picture above, was taken down by the ice. All three of the trees behind the wall were different sizes due to the amount of sun each got. They just were not a team, so we removed them.
See the tinge of pink on the ends of the branches below? The red buds are one of the first to bloom here, and at the point of the ice storm, they were on their way.
Surprisingly, with the three trees gone, we can see the live oak in the distance much better from the inside of the pool area.
To the far right of this image is a huge Nellie Stevens Holly, put in in 1997. To the left of that, is the live oak, way further back. It suffered ice damage too, but the branches are filling in. It also was planted in 1997 and is a very young adult now.
I was kind of led to symmetry for this garden, which is not my favorite solution for design. First, I realized that the large Nellie Stevens had to be matched on the other end of the forty foot wall. Could have paid almost as much as I wanted for one; saw one for 350.00, but I settled for a 45.00 big bush. They grow fairly quickly. This was my biggest expense for my 103.00 garden.
Above is the 45.00 Nellie Stevens in the foreground with its huge mirror image in the background. This bed is 8′ x 40″, the same size as my front and back porches. This garden actually started out probably around March when at Lowe’s I found eight red barberry bushes, sleeping the winter as they do, in the “dead plant” area of the garden center for one dollar each. Score, and the game began! You can see them faintly on the left boundary of the garden, still surrounded by sod. Almost killed them this summer putting too-fresh horse manure on them. Lesson learned.
All along that nasty looking stuccoed wall (which I do not intend to do again), Nandina is being placed about two feet apart. This stuff procreates like rabbits, so the plant material is coming from other places in the yard. It will be nice silhouetted against the white, and in the winter it gets to be a beautiful red. My symmetry is not perfect, nor do I want it, and this side of the garden has some yucca from the pool area. On the other side in the same space is Confederate Rose, free from my friend Janet.
Two tiny heads of confederate rose are to the right of the taller plantings. You can simply cut a branch from an existing plant, root it in water, changing the water every day and sturdy roots appear after about three weeks. Easy. This is a fast growing rose and has a very interesting habit. Kind of thinly orchestrated.
This is what it will look like: