The work going on with the new room addition sucks the day away often, but yesterday there was time to work at the pool. Do you see the tiny elements which are stuck down into the expansion joints in the cement? They are waste, and I have used this stuff for various reasons, aesthetic and not, for years.
When these little man-made elements are tumbled into these shapes, they are worthless. They start out looking like something else, spend their little lives in a huge tumbler with manufactured tools, helping to remove the unwanted harsh edges, and are dispensed with and thrown away by industry when they look like this. I often use these shapes in mosaics, and in the pool here, they have been inserted in the joints so that the grout used will not have to cover more space than is recommended.
Years ago, when the big house was first moved here and under renovation, the old windows had to go. I went to the big box store to purchase eight windows for part of the house, and stumbled upon a wonderful thing. Someone had returned seven custom windows and they very nearly fit my needs. And they were priced at fifty dollars each! They were not standard sizes. I snapped them up, and what you see above is how some of the windows were made to fit. My contractor inserted cement board in this space, and along with marble pieces, little garden pot feet (bought a bunch of these years ago for five cents apiece), and my amazing WASTE, the bargain windows worked fine!
Look closely and you can see another joint filled by these shapes dividing the crescent shape and the acuba plant shape. This area is yesterday’s work. My grout color is getting to be a deeper and deeper brick color (through mixing grout colors) as the tile becomes redder and redder.
At the top of this picture is the deck area that I am tackling next. There is papyrus in the garden next to the studio which is pretty much obscured visually by the yucca in the foreground, and I feel like making lines to reflect it in the composition.